Sunday 15 January sees the annual Treadly Bike Shop 'MAKER' festival that shines a light on some of the best cycling brands Australia has to offer.
Words - James Raison
Treadly is Adelaide's coolest bike shop and their MAKER festival assembles some of the best brands in the Australian cycling industry. Their commitment to supporting Australian brands is exceptional and they sure know how to put on a good show.
This is one of my favourite events of the Tour Down Under and this year it has grown to include even more brands. The Victoria Square Bike Expo carbon fiesta offers stuff you see on the road every day. MAKER lets you get up close to things more local, more artisanal, and with much much more personality.
The ridiculously good brand lineup is:
- Wheel makers Baron Cycling
- Carbon/Ti melding bike frame wizards Bastion Cycles
- Chainring artisans Bespoke Chainrings
- Legendary bicycle tyre up-cycler Buck!t Belts
- Adelaide's best apparel store Cycle Closet
- Urban transport expers EcoCaddy
- Fluro/reflective vest superstar Hey Reflect'o
- Queensland frame and wheel makers Johnson Bicycles
- Aussie kit giants Maap Apparel
- Custom Canberra MTB/Road/Adventure frame makers Prova Cycles
- Adelaide's premier perveyor of steel bike pornography Rogers Bespoke
- High end custom frame and wheel makers Skunkworks Bikes
- Adelaide's ultra-cool apparel maker Spin Cycle Clothing
- New kit-kids-on-the-block Tenet Supply
- Expert wall-dressers Veloposters
- Melbourne kitsters/socksters VeloOne
- Kitspirationers at Ventou Cycling
These aren't global mega companies with colossal marketing budgets and pro team sponsorships. These are incredibly talented and passionate people forging a niche in a competitive industry. You can go along to a closed road with free entry and talk to the exceptional people behind the brands and buy some of their wares.
There's multiple cafes on Ebenezer Place, the Belgian Beer Cafe, and the whole event is crawling with cyclists and some insane bike porn. Head to this, then go a hundred metres to watch the People's Choice Classic. Day sorted!
We'll be there desperately resisting the temptation to lick everything.