There’s nothing more enjoyable than a loaf of freshly baked banana bread following a long ride or run, but be careful before you reach for a piece from your local cafe!
Words an Images - Meg Gillmer
Commercial banana bread is far from nutritious, mass produced and full of refined wheat flour, margarine, sugar and more banana flavouring than banana itself.
Do yourself a favour and make a loaf of this bumper banana bread from The Wholesome Athlete. It’s sure to be a winner amongst your family and friends, and best of all is gluten and wheat free, dairy free and has no refined sugar! Make a double batch on the weekends, slice then freeze in portions for future convenience.
What you'll need:
- 4 ripe bananas
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup rice or almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons L.S.A (linseeds, sunflower seeds, almonds)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup sultanas (optional)
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Mash bananas and stir in eggs, honey and coconut oil.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, L.S.A and cinnamon in a seperate bowl.
- Stir wet and dry ingredients together and spread into loaf tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Meg Gillmer is better known as the Wholesome Athlete. She's on a mission to bring us all fresh, seasonal and simple food to get the most out of our bodies and move away from processed products.